Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Autumn State of Mind

The pumpkin spice latte is back at Starbucks.  Halloween candy is starting to appear on store shelves.  You can feel just a slight change in the air.  Yes, Autumn is approaching and after the hellish Summer we had I am more eager to welcome it than ever. 

 The crunch of leaves under foot.  The warmth of a fire pit on a crisp night.  The gorgeous gold, yellow, orange, brown and red tones of trees and grasses.  The comfort from a bowl of your favorite warm soup as it hits your belly.  Scarves, boots, jackets.  Football. Snuggling. There is just nothing like Autumn.  It is by far my favorite time of year. 


There are two things that I think I love most about Autumn though:  Pumpkins and apples.  This past weekend we made the trip to Centennial Farms in Augusta, MO to pick apples and officially kick off Fall in our little world. 




I love our trips here.  It's just the cutest little place and I adore the rustic barn and "down home" feel.  We always have a wonderful time walking the rows of the orchard looking for the best apples and checking out the offerings in the store. 
It's actually a dream of mine to have an orchard some day.  Complete with a big pumpkin patch and a hive of bees.  Maybe some day, but for now I'll just enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.  :)

 I can't wait to make a pie or crisp with our hand picked harvest.  Maybe some apple sauce or apple butter, too?  Now my mind is churning...better go check out some recipes! 




Centennial Farms
http://centennialfarms.biz/

No comments:

Post a Comment