Friday, February 22, 2013

Last Train to Clarksville

The first weekend in February we took a day-trip to Clarksville, MO to meet my parents for a little eagle watching. We did NOT take a train there (don't think its even an option) but I like to use song lyrics as much as possible in day to day life.
 I don't know what it is about little river towns but I am completely infatuated with them.  They are always so lively and quaint with much to explore and usually teeming with history.  Clarksville did not disappoint. 

We began our day at the lock and dam to scout out the eagles.  It was a cold day so there was a decent convocation of eagles along the river.  Did you know that a group of eagles is called a convocation? You learn something new everyday. See, this blog is both fun and educational. And if you already knew that little fact, well you're just a real smarty pants.

The dam has a great overlook platform complete with telescopes to aid in your eagle viewing.  We were amazed at the amount of pelicans (a group of pelicans is called a pod or scoop incase you were wondering) that were also populating the area. There were HUNDREDS. Guess I never really thought of Missouri as a hot spot for aquatic birds. 


After freezing our faces off eagle watching we decided to take a little walk about town and take in the sights. Each shop in the downtown area is adorned with nostalgic hanging signs. You can tell that the town has worked hard to preserve the historic buildings and promote it's business district.  The area is absolutely adorable.  We enjoyed walking from shop to shop checking out the offerings and chatting with store attendants.  And can you believe that my dad didn't complain even once while we shopped?  This astounded me.  He was either genuinely enjoying himself or age and time with my mom has slowly worn down his will to protest.  Either way I'll take it.  Love you Dad!

Bee Naturals was one of my favorite stores and where I scored this amazing skin creme.  I have a problem with obsessively washing my hands and during the winter they can get super chapped.  This creme comes in stick form (like deodorant) which I've never seen before and is really hydrating without being greasy. Did I mention it also smells ahh-mazing?  As in I dab a little around my nose so I can inhale it more, amazing.   They have a website that you can order from.  I recommend you check it out. 


I was pretty upset that Miss Tiffie's Candy was closed that day and not just because I was unable to indulge my sweet tooth.  I was really looking forward to meeting Miss Tiffie.  A name like that conjures up images of a sweet, elderly southern woman with a delightful accent and even more delightful personality. The kind of lady that you just want to wrap up in a hug and spend the whole day listening to her stories. Perhaps someone that is a mix between Jessica Tandy's character in Fried Green Tomatoes and Paula Deen. Get the idea?  Maybe it's for the best that the shop was closed because I'm just not sure Miss Tiffie can live up to the fantastical version of herself that I created in my mind.
(Source)
After not much debate (surprisingly) we all decided on The Farm Cafe for lunch. What an excellent, excellent choice.  This little eatery is something you would expect to see on Washington Ave but not in a small, rural town.  Artisan coffee, fresh, wholesome farm to table foods, delectable desserts and a wonderful cozy, laid-back atmosphere.  This is definitely a place I could spend A LOT of time.  Our lunch was delicious and the peanut butter pie we had for dessert will knock your socks off.  Seriously. If plan to go you may want to bring an extra pair.  The experience has made me very eager to check out Overlook Farm's other restaurant, The Station.

church window in Clarksville
Antique doors
Our day-trip to Clarksville was time well spent. Beautiful sights, historic buildings, a variety of shopping and wonderful dining. If you get the chance you should take a drive down Highway 79 and check it out for yourself.  You won't regret it. 
Links: 



No comments:

Post a Comment