Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day was pretty great this year in the Bryson house. Though today I feel like I have a bit of a valentine hangover after all the sweets and champagne.

Luke and I kinda have a Valentine's tradition in which we use restaurant gift cards we received during the holidays to get a carry-out dinner.  We bust out our wedding china, (which we NEVER use. Someday, right?) light a few candles and turn on relaxing music.  I did a little decorating to make the occasion feel even more special.  We usually enjoy our dinners with the TV on (I know, awful!) so it's nice to sit down to dinner without distraction and really focus on each other.  It's something we should strive to do more often. 
This year I skipped on buying Luke the mushy, gushy, glitter-covered card I usually present him with on Valentine's Day.  Truth be told, I think the whole concept of receiving a card is pretty lost on him. I know he appreciates them but if he didn't get one, he couldn't care less.  I wanted to give him something a little more man-friendly and rustic.  After some thought I came up with the idea of carving our initials into wood. I went to Michaels and bought a natural wood plaque.  After attempting to carve into the wood and realizing how difficult it was I opted to use a woodburner pen instead.  So I have one of those now. If you ever need something burned or want a really intricate skin brand, let me know. Anyway, this is what I ended up with. 
It isn't exactly what I imagined because I had a miscalculation while applying the stain (too much). Then I freaked and tried to thin it out by applying water, which led to the plaque cracking.  Ugh. I was pretty upset at first.  However, upon thinking about it I decided that what the plaque became through error was more representative of love than what I had pictured in my mind.  It isn't perfect. It has smudges and cracks and it's a little rough around the edges.  But it's still there, it's still held together and I think it's beautiful. And the best part is that Luke loves it. 
To round out his Valentine's Day gift I made Luke his very favorite dessert... red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting in cupcake form.  
                                         
Luke did pretty amazing job for Valentine's Day.  He gave me blue hydrangeas like the ones I carried at our wedding, chocolate covered strawberries and a beautiful figurine.  I'm blessed to have such a thoughtful husband.
I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and felt lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment