Friday, April 19, 2013

Thoughts on Boston

(image credit)

I, like most of the country, have been glued to the news since reports of an explosion at the Boston Marathon began to surface Monday afternoon.  When I first read a tweet from a local news station about it I could hardly think of anything else. Is this really happening? Surely it's some sort of bizarre accident. That night watching news reports and seeing images from the scene I had an ache in my heart, a lump in my throat and I felt an inexplicable anger.  Maybe I'm having such a strong reaction to this attack because I'm a runner.  I come from a family of runners.  I have many friends who are runners.  I've been a participant in one of these races.  I've been a spectator at one of these races. Not even two weeks ago Luke and I were standing in a place very similar to that Boston finish line as we watched one of our close friends complete the 26.2 miles of the GO! St Louis Marathon.


If you've never participated in or cheered someone on at a distance race its hard to describe the atmosphere.  These events are teeming with energy.  There are feelings of excitement, pride, happiness, encouragement,  camaraderie, anguish, suspense and elation all mixing together to produce a one of a kind experience for all involved.  There are runners helping runners.  Bystanders cheering, clapping and screaming til they are nearly hoarse for people they've never met. Volunteers offering much needed refreshments, care and kind words. A community coming together to champion perseverance, dedication and the human spirit.  These events seem to be the embodiment of all the American ideals, so such an attack is more than disheartening. 
Boston Marathon 2013-#PayforBoston, #BostonStrong #RunBoston
(image credit)
We as Americans have been stunned by this attack but I feel its effect on the running community is more prevalent.  The victims of Monday's events were not just those who were injured or killed by the blasts.  The victims are everyone who was participating in the marathon events that day: volunteers, spectators and runners.  Actually, you could reason that all Americans were victims that day. This was a direct attack on our way of life; our love of sport.  It has been uplifting to see the outpouring of love and support for Boston. Everywhere on social media sites there are photos and postings about runs and races dedicated to those who were affected by this tragedy. Throughout the country runners are coming together to honor victims and to express an act of unity in the community.  That's what I love so much about runners and Americans in general.  In the midst of adversity, we always find a way to persevere and triumph.  All across the United States people are coming together to stand against fear; to spread love, hope and peace when faced with hate. 

I challenge you all to take a little time this weekend to get out and dedicate a walk or run to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.  There are several websites and Facebook pages that have created commemorative "race" bibs that you can wear as a visual dedication if you would like. Or  you can just take that walk or run and mentally dedicate it by praying for the victims as you go.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and those who continue to be affected by these tragic events.  May God bless us all. 

Runners Unite Bib Website:
http://www.runjunkees.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment